Our lottery will be on Tuesday, Apr. 7 at 11:30am at 55-30 Junction Boulevard in Elmhurst.
Central Queens Academy Charter School (CQA) is a tuition-free public charter middle school that opened in fall 2012. CQA is the first charter school to serve the students and families of New York City’s “United Nations” district, Community School District 24, in Queens. Seeking to improve academic achievement for its diverse population, CQA is one of the first NYC charter schools to offer an enrollment priority (30%) for English Language Learners.
- Small, tuition-free public charter middle school
- Serving grades 5, 6 and 7 in 2014-2015
- College preparatory and career readiness focus
- Priority for District 24 and English Language Learner students
- Longer school day (8am-5pm), extended school year and afterschool programs
Central Queens Academy outperformed District 24, New York City, and New York State in 5th grade ELA, 5th grade mathematics, 6th grade ELA, and 6th grade mathematics on the 2014 New York State Assessments.
|Proficiency Percentages–Spring 2014 New York State Assessments (ELA & math)|
|Central Queens Academy||New York City||New York State||District 24|
|Grade 5 math||70.0||40.0||40.0||43|
|Grade 6 math||64.0||35.1||38.1||38|
|Grade 5 ELA||36.4||29.4||29.7||30|
|Grade 6 ELA||32.0||26.4||28.9||26|
CQA will foster scholastic achievement in a small school setting. Our program centers on literacy as a lever for academic learning to instill our students with skills for success in school and in life.
- Small learning environment
- Focus on literacy as lever for school and life success
- High quality pedagogy and practice
- Learning supports
Academic literacy across all subjects to succeed in school
- Curriculum will introduce concrete examples / illustrations and real-life problem solving
- Workshop-based reading and writing program will encourage students to be avid readers, writers and inquirers
- Double periods (90 min) of English Language Arts (ELA) each day will be strategically scheduled to coordinate and integrate additional literacy assistance in other subject areas